Endorsements Souldier Fender Celestion Fender Custom Shop D'Addario D'Addario

The Campy Forum

Be polite and respectful. Don't sell stuff. No envy, no fear, no meanness.
Any Tele/Bigsby users?
  • Hey,

Are there any tele players out there that use a Bigsby?

I'm working on some Chet stuff and would like to get some vibrato going, but don't want to buy a new guitar right now. I also like the idea of staying on one guitar. I also saw Bill Frisell's Surfer Girl on youtube...

The big downside seems to be access to tone swells.

Opinions/comments?

Also, for those that have done it, I think these are the things I need. I'm also open to opinions on this. (e.g. I'm buying the right/wrong stuff, better ideas on a seller?)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005MTDPBK
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DR5E9I
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055E88FA

Thanks!
  • I played a 68 telecaster with a factory Bigsby in a local vintage guitar shop on a couple of occasions. I love Bigsby's and I tend to like the handle elevated a little to add space between the pickguard -- Gretsch guitars typically have great Bigsby action but they have no sustain. The Bigsby on the 68 telecaster was fantastic; it was very responsive, the bridge rocked back and forth slightly instead of having roller saddles and it stayed in tune. It was one of the best Bigsby's I ever played. However, given the excellent condition of the guitar and the fact that it was a vintage telecaster, the cost was prohibitive for me.

I would not hesitate to play a telecaster with a Bigsby, but in my opinion I would want it factory installed -- which would mean either buying a vintage instrument with one already installed or going through the Custom shop. Both options would be pricy, but worth it if that is what you are looking for.

Just my opinion.

Joe
  • Another option is to look around for a '90s Japanese manufactured Telecaster equipped with Bigsby. I have one and it's a phenomenal guitar. I've seen a few for sale and they typically go for around $900-$1200, making them a little more affordable than vintage or custom shop instruments.
  • I forgot, but I also played a Japanese made telecaster with a Bigsby years ago. I agree... it was a nice guitar as you described. The Bigsby was also factory installed.
  • Thanks for the comments.!

jtmccann/Steve09: yeah, I've been watching the CIJ teles with Bigsbys. Seems like they're around on reverb. I'm going to keep that in mind. If I can get one at the low end of that range, it might be better that spending $250 on parts. Especially if I can find one local instead of on line.

Thanks again.
  • rasn0225...a bit late replying here. I have a CIJ tele with a bigsby. Great guitar for the money. I too was worried about access to tone and volume swells. Given this, I simply reversed the control panel on the guitar such that the volume and tone knobs are up front and the pickup switch is in the back. Works well!
  • Sorry to resurrect this discussion, but I have a question...a little background first, since I posted earlier on this topic, but have since learned some new information.

I am generally a hollow body player and really like a Bigsby on a guitar. However, I've also long wanted to bond with the right Telecaster. I've owned a couple over the years but always ended up selling them because they just did not feel right. I have cervical disc issues and the way a Telecaster generally sits on my lap when playing causes pain and discomfort...which I do not get from hollow body guitars. This is probably due to neck angle and just the way I naturally tend to hold a guitar, in addition to my neck issues which I will not go into here. Nevertheless, I am always looking for the right Telecaster.

I recently came across an article on a Telecaster played by Bob Bain that has a Bigsby B16. He called it the best guitar he ever owned or played. I was never aware of this particular model of Bigsby, but from what I can tell this might do the trick on a Telecaster for me. It doesn't have the tension bar that you have to run the strings under. It basically works more like a Gretsch-style "open" Bigsby and has softer tension and better sensitivity...which I really like. I guess the Telecaster neck has to be shimmed and realigned, but this might also get rid of the neck problems I've encountered with previous Telecasters that I've had. I love the tone, sound, and feel of a Telecaster and would like to be able to have one that lasts!!

So, my question is this...has anyone on this forum ever played a Telecaster with a Bigsby B16 with a shimmed neck? Or, has anyone ever put one on their Telecaster and made the necessary modifications? If so, did you run into any problems? Did you like the sound, feel etc? I know the pickups have to be raised, but I'm not sure of any other issues. Any thoughts or comments would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!!

Joe M.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!