Endorsements Souldier Fender Celestion Fender Custom Shop D'Addario D'Addario

The Campy Forum

Be polite and respectful. Don't sell stuff. No envy, no fear, no meanness.
Strings/ Behind the nut bend tuning
  • I do not know about anyone else but I have always had trouble staying in tune when I behind the nut bend. Like the string would snag in the nut and stay really sharp. I tried a lot of stuff like big bends nut sauce, pencil lead in the nut, widening the slots in the nut but to no avail.

I have used elixir strings for pretty much my entire guitar life, over ten years now. I never really tried new strings because I was happy enough with elixir. But recently I had two guitar friends tell me how much they love the D'Addario NYXL strings. I read about how they stay in tune, have higher output blah blah blah.

After trying them myself I was really surprised, they sound and feel awesome, its D'Addario so you know its consistent and they... stayed in tune for a long time.

I rarely behind the nut bend out of fear of tuning but I tried with these new strings and its like magic, I can now behind the nut bend and stay relatively well in tune.

If anyone else gets a chance try out the strings and let me know what you think! I am onto my third set now and am not looking back.

• I use D'Addario - they are a nice family run company.

I put graphite, via pencil - in the string slots on the nut and then I pull, pull, pull on the strings until the pitch doesn't change.

That will do it.

• Jim,

What does the graphite do exactly?
  • A lot of folks use it has a lubricant so the strings move smoothly through the nut. Helps with tuning stability!
  • Cwilliams -Exactly and thank you. The nut is where some tuning problems occur because the string can stick. I've used powdered teflon too, but it's a little messy... and I was put off by teflon.
  • As a Les Paul player I'm no stranger to tuning issues. I've been using D'Addario strings for over 30 years now and find them to be very consistent. Their NYXL strings are fantastic!

Cwilliams: One thing I've discovered over the years is that the way a string is wound around the tuner, and how many times it's wound as well, has an impact on tuning stability. Also, I've found that it's best to wrap the string above and below the string end on the tuning peg so that the string acts as a clamp on itself. This has been recommended to me by quite a few Les Paul owners and seems to do the trick. Perhaps Tele owners can chime in with their thoughts.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!