Endorsements Souldier Fender Celestion Fender Custom Shop D'Addario D'Addario

The Campy Forum

Be polite and respectful. Don't sell stuff. No envy, no fear, no meanness.
Old Guitar Magazines... Keep them coming!
  • Good one! Mine was a gift, which makes it even more special. I love the version of "Sweet Dreams" on that LP

• Bill Jennings played upside down??? Damn....
  • Years ago I had a room full of magazines. I decided to digitize articles of interest. It took a couple years, I'm sure many of you went through a similar process as space became an issue. Musicians seem to hoard information! This is one of my favorites. It's a cool analysis of Charlie Christian's style. Let me know if it is acceptable, I have tons of similar information.
    Attachments
    Charlie Christian Swing Chord Shapes (Excellent).pdf 851K
  • Thank you Prof- looks great and CC was a genius!
    Attachments
    Vinyl Treasures Okie from Muskogee Jan 2017.jpeg 37K
  • There was a magazine out years ago called Guitar Extra that was excellent. This article is about Lonnie Johnson and Eddie Lang. Quite informative, talks about their contribution and includes a discography.
    Attachments
    Lonnie Johnson Eddie Lang.pdf 2M
  • Jim, I believe you posted the cover from the Downbeat interview with Bill Frisell. This is the interview, good stuff.
    Attachments
    Bill Frisell Down Beat Interview.pdf 2M
  • thank you! Really appreciate it. Good stuff!
  • Cool stuff in here! Man... I wonder if there's a Grant Green manuscript floating around somewhere. As far as I can tell he never had a book published.

Speaking of Grant, his son (GG Jr) has made this video available for 6 bucks. Totally worth it. http://store.payloadz.com/details/2119321-movies-and-videos-music-video-grant-green-video-download-product.html
  • Really enjoyed the new vinyl treasures highlighting Roy Buchanan's first album! Bought a used vinyl copy after reading it.
  • dougg - Haven't seen it yet but I was proud of that article. Glad it inspired you to buy what I consider, Roy's greatest LP. Have fun!
    Attachments
    Roy Buchanan Scanned Article Vinyl Treasures Feb 2017.jpeg 41K
  • Another great article, Jim. You writing about Roy is like Clapton writing about Robert Johnson, or Keith Richards writing about Chuck Berry.
  • You really flatter me Brian and I'm very touched. Thank you- Yes, I wanted to do Roy justice and I'm proud of that little article. Thanks for your comment and have a great day -Jim

• From my Mar 2017 Guitar Player column "Vinyl Treasures" Bill Doggett - Everybody Dance the Honky Tonk
    Attachments
    Bill Doggett - Everybody Dance the Honky Tonk Scanned Article .jpeg 40K
  • My April 2017 Guitar Player column "Vinyl Treasures" Paul Butterfield Blues Band -East West
    Attachments
    Paul Butterfield Blues Band -East West .jpeg 47K
  • Another great article, Jim, I’m really enjoying this series. I like how you give the back story on how the artist has influenced you, as well as what the actual record itself means to you personally. I also like the picture of you digging through your own collection. Every record tells a story (don’t it!).
  • Lenny Breau did some really interesting articles that I have been trying to compile. I think I pretty much have them all. When he passed the magazine did did a lovely tribute and posted a stunning arrangement of Danny Boy that Lenny was prepping for his next article.

Attachments
    226627_10151382380090295_715476335_n.jpg 54K
  • Corey- I really appreciate your comment and thanks for the Lenny lesson!
  • What Brian said! I love Vinyl Treasures and I am always looking forward to the next columns!

Great stuff, Corey! Thanks a lot for sharing!
    Attachments
    Harvey Mandel the Snake scanned article .jpeg 166K
    Attachments
    GP FEB 2016 scanned george barnes copy 2.jpg 47K
    Attachments
    "Renata Terrago - scanned artile The music of Francisco Tarrega"..jpeg 176K
    Attachments
    Dick Nolan scanned Vinyl Treasures .jpeg 160K
    Attachments
    SCANNED ARTICLE Sheldon Bennett "Swingin' Southern Guitar".jpeg 139K
    Attachments
    May 2017 Vinyl Treasures “Speedy West - Steel Guitar”.jpeg 44K
  • Vinyl Treasures- John McLaughlin Devotion- Guitar Player June 2017

Attachments
    Vinyl Treasures John McLaughlin Devotion Guitar Player June 2017 .jpeg 179K
  • Jim, that’s a pretty unusual record for a 13 year old to pick up on back then, and at Tanforan no less. John McLaughlin certainly wasn’t on the average kid’s radar. I would bet that most people who have this record today got it as a rare used copy much, much later in life (as I did).

Personally, my go-to record store at the time was White Front!
  • Ha! We went to the incredibly mobbed opening of White Front and among other things, there was the "star" from the series "Combat" Rick Jason - he signed an autograph for me. He was the "lieutenant"...Of course I secretly wished it was Vic Morrow but I was ecstatic anyway.

My main store was U.S.E. -they actually had a good selection.

We are talking 1,000,000 BC my friend!
  • I was lucky enough to move to a new town right before high school and had a record store within walking distance.

I had just heard Wes when I first walked in and started to get to know the owner. He went to woodstock, shares a record collection with Stephen Stills... was a cool dude to meet when I was little.

I told him I was just getting into Jazz and needed some new albums and he gave me a Miles Davis album. He said it was the most listened to Jazz album of all time, the starting point for newcomers. He THOUGHT it was "Kind of Blue" but by accident what he gave me was "in a silent way".

I think that shaped my preferences in a lot of ways.

I had not listened to "Devotion" until recently and it is a treat. John McLaughlin outside of a few albums is still pretty new to me!

Thanks for taking the time to write and share those articles. They are a lot of fun.

Here's a couple back issues of guitar player I recently purchased (not far from the original cover price haha). Jim hall from 83, and John Abercrombie from 86. In addition to the cool cover stories (with some musical examples) there's lessons with Howard Roberts, Lenny breau, Chet Atkins, Tommy Tedesco, Larry Coryell, and Frank Zappa. Wow! These were some good years for GP it seems.
    Attachments
    IMG_3591.JPG 55K
    IMG_3591.JPG 55K
    Attachments
    Cream Wheels of Fire - Vinyl Treasures - Guitar Player Magazine - November 2017.jpeg 185K
    Attachments
    Julie is Her Name - Vinyl Treasures Guitar Player Magazine October 2017.jpeg 162K
    Attachments
    Cypress Hill Vinyl Treasures Guitar Player Magazine Sept 2017.jpeg 156K
    Attachments
    Julian Bream August 2017 Vinyl Treasures.jpeg 143K
    Attachments
    Paul Butterfield Blues Band -East West scanned article .jpeg 47K

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!